As building codes across North America gradually tighten requirements on the building envelope performance, the importance of mitigating thermal bridging is increasing. For instance, in the soon to be released update to the National Energy Code for Buildings (NECB), the thermal bridge effect of structural penetrations, shelf angles, anchors, and ties, among other elements, can no longer be ignored.
Heat3 is a 3D thermal modelling tool that lets users calculate the impact of 3D thermal bridges. The tool is gradually becoming the standard tool used for calculating thermal will thus be an invaluable tool for building energy modellers and envelope consultants to understand. For more information on Heat3: https://buildingphysics.com/heat3-3/
In this 6 week online course, participants will learn the fundamentals of thermal bridging calculations. Common 2D and 3D details and their modelling conventions will be examined. Modelling techniques will be taught using Heat3.
- Gain better understanding of heat loss in buildings due to thermal bridging
- Understand what comprises a high quality junction detail
- Assess degree of thermal bridging in a junction qualitatively
- Learn basic commands in the steady state numerical analysis software Heat3
- Create 2D and 3D thermal models of junction details
- Set up the steady state models to output correct results
- Calculate heat flows in Heat3
- Analyse the calculation results to ensure accuracy
- Learn and apply correct thermal bridging modelling conventions
- Quantify the degree of thermal bridging at junctions
- Gain practical experience in the calculation of thermal bridging heat loss
- Account for thermal bridging in building energy modelling software
Prerequisites: Participants must have a familiarity with Excel and basic building heat loss calculations.
Peel Passive House is an official training partner of BLOCON. Participants who take our course are eligible for a 20% discount on the Heat3 software.
Course Requirements: Laptop with Heat3 v8.0 preloaded; MS Excel (or equivalent); calculator, pencil and notepad for sketching.
Schedule:The course is structured into 2 sessions over the course of 6 weeks. Each session requires about 8-10 hours of commitment. You are invited to complete the sessions at your own pace but it is recommended to keep a schedule of 3 weeks per session. Access to the online platform will begin upon enrollment and will end 6 weeks after, however, all student resources including lecture slides will be available for download for future reference.The course is currently open for continuous enrollment.
Further Education Training: The Heat3 is recognized by PHI as further education training for Certified Passive House Designers/Consultants with 16 CPs under the ID: K114-2018-CA. If you require a confirmation of completion please email: email@example.com
iPHA affiliated members discount: A 10% discount is available for iPHA affiliated members. Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org for coupon code.
Testimonial: The heat3 training session provided by Andrew Peel to our group of technical specialists was well organized, thorough, and directly focused to our practice. Andrew exceeded our expectations and we look forward to working with him again in the future.
--- Kevin Pickwick, Read Jones Christoffersen